I realize this group "came and went" much earlier this year, but the Budman and I had a great time catching up with Baylor friends AND seeing Oxford for the first time.
The Georgia Festival Chorus, founded in 1987 as the Cobb Festival Chorus by Frank Boggs, is a chorus of 100+ singers who have a far ranging repertoire of classics, anthems, hymns, spirituals, and folk songs. The choir routinely tours internationally as well as within the US and recently just completed a UK tour, which contained a performance at the Cathedral at Christ Church where we were honored to see and hear them perform.
So...what is our connection to the Georgia Festival Chorus? Simply put, the Budman and I became acquainted with the Boggs family through our own collegiate choir experience...the Baylor Religious Hour (BRH) Choir. During our stint in the choir, we had the pleasure of knowing (and singing) with Catherine, Frank's daughter. So, not only did we get to catch up with lifelong Baylor friends, we reminisced about BU and BRH.
It truly felt like "old home week", both seeing friends and catching up with their lives as well as listening to some very familiar choral pieces we have had the opportunity to sing ourselves. A truly lovely program including:
* Glorious is Thy Name, Mozart
* Create In Me, Oh God (Opus 29), Brahms
* Almighty God of Our Fathers, James
* Saul, Hovland
* Salvation Is Created, Tschesnokff
* The Majesty and Glory of Your Name, Fettke
* In This Very Room, Harris
* Redeemer of Israel, Lewis / Arr. Wilberg
* I Will Not Leave You Comfortless, Wm. Byrd
* Daniel in the Lion Den, Caldwell-Ivory
* His Voice as the Sound, Walker / Arr. Wilberg
* My Song in the Night, Arr. Wilberg
* My God, My Portion, & My Love, Lewis / Arr. Wilberg
* Amazing Grace, Newton / Arr. Wilberg
* Ev'rytime I Feel the Spirit, Arr. Dawson
* I Want Jesus To Walk With Me, Arr. Hogan
* Danny Boy / Londonerry Air, Arr. Flummerfelt
* Moses, Medema
* Total Praise, Smallwood / Arr. Williamson
Led by the capable director and singer, Frank Boggs, who we have known for over 30 years...
...the atmosphere was perfect for a concert and for reflection.
A special treat was to meet the youngest members of the Bogg clan.
While the highpoint of the trip was seeing friends and attending the concert, Budman and I did enjoy a quick walk about Oxford. What a pretty day....enjoy the tour!
Out and about in Oxford