Friday, January 13, 2012

"12 in 12 in 2012" Tuesday Update

T-2 weeks to Marrakech Marathon Dubai International Marathon (race #1).

Yea, I know, it is actually Friday, but the blog has been silent for a bit during the holidays.  Vacation in Hawaii and all that stuff meant I never wanted to pull the PC out to post an update.
 
Suffice to say, the training has continued in earnest, with my longest runs being completed during the Christmas week.  The taper is in full force now, with the goals of proper diet, enough sleep/rest, and completion of minor runs (this weekend will be a 12 miler) on the top of the list.

The big news is that due a work project in Dubai, I will not be able to run in the Marrkech marathon.  Main reasons are the time off, no direct flights from Dubai to Marrakech, and too much time will be spent on airplanes getting back and forth.  As luck would have it (the gods were indeed smiling), I am able to run in the Dubai International Marathon on the same weekend as the Marrakech Marathon.  So, to quote the Crosby, Stills, and Nash song, "All aboard the train" except that this train to Marrakech is now actually a plane to Dubai.

Race day is Friday, January 27th.  The Dubai course is flat, is an out and back course, and temps should be in upper 60s/low 70s.  Not my favorite running weather but an option given the other constraints.
 
How do I feel?  Actually, the body has been tired and sore over the last couple of weeks.  Shin splints have been the main culprit as well as that left calf soreness returning (remember the muscle tear in London 2009????).  Like any experienced marathoner, I pulled back the road running and did some cross training and that seems to have helped the shin splints, and slightly improved the calf soreness.  I am not 100% yet but still two weeks before D-Day so will keep at it.

Fundraising has been solid and consistent, with 40% of the £10,000 goal being attained.  I still have quite a few ideas up my sleeve and it is just the start of the marathon events.  PLEASE:  If you, a family member, or friend have personally been touched by cancer, please consider donating to Cancer Research UK on behalf of my "marathon" marathon journey.

www.justgiving.com/Holly-Young2012

No comments: