Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Date and time

Two years in, and I still struggle with Europe's view of the proper recording of date and time.

As for the date format, the MM/DD/YY format we are so accustomed to in the US is second nature to me and is firmly ingrained into my brain. In Europe more times than not, the format is DD/MM/YY. To make matters worse, I still trying to purge the Asian date format out of my brain which is usually YY/MM/DD but not always. The Chinese further complicate things by showing dates based on a lunar calendar....which may not mean anything to you until you see dates with a year that is not '07. I'll leave it at that.

As for the time format, everything seems to be military timing in Europe. Generally, I panic at least once a week that I have calculated the start time of a meeting, or worse yet, a departure time for a flight incorrectly....

No comments: