Thursday, October 18, 2007

I don't get strikes

BBC news has been reporting over the last few weeks a number of instances of strikes. Workers for the Royal Mail Post and now the British Rail Service apparently have real "beefs" with their employment terms and conditions. More power to the people...if you feel strongly about something, I guess it is a person's right to make that grievance known.

Now, here is what I don't understand about strikes. Do they really ever work?

Take the Royal Mail: in this day and age of increasing usage of online bill payment, email for communication, and other companies such as FedEx, DHL, and UPS more than supporting and handling the "package" market, one could argue that volumes for "slow mail" will continue to decrease. Sure, regular mail will never go away, as there will always be a need for that service. It just seems to me for those businesses that see their market share shrinking, other businesses cutting into their market, etc. , that workers would kind understand that their negotiating ability might be a bit hampered. Now, their 7 day rolling strike did cause some inconvenience but did it accomplish anything? Sure, they voiced their opinions and caused mail snafus, but in the end they went back to work without an agreement although "discussions were underway".

Now, the British Rail Service workers are posing a strike this week/weekend, with many trains being cancelled because workers are not available. Never fear, all those extra trains being pressed into service from the UK to France that will carry UK rugby fans to the World Cup Rugby finals in Paris are not affected. Ah, striking workers with a conscience....

Again, my comment...I don't get strikes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Sister! Knowing that if I went on strike, I'd just be accumulating more work for myself (60 million pieces of mail backlogged) would make me want to avoid a strike if I were a postal worker!

Missy said...

When we lived in St Louis, there were strikes ALL the time ... by all sorts of workers. it drove me nuts. we had a grocery store worker's strike that lasted for a good 6 months - for a minimum wage job. I didn't get it then. holding on to your principles can be valuable ... but ...

have you heard about the writers' strike? possibly no new tv shows and movies for a while. i hope they get that one worked out...

Hachie Gal said...

yes, Missy, got the lowdown on the writer's strike in this week's Entertainment Weekly. Does not sounds good. More reality shows in our future...egads!

Missy said...

however, I am into a reality show this year - it's my first but I love it! Check out kid nation. I'm sure it took a lot of blame for exploiting kids, but it really doesn't. You truly have to see the beginning though.

I haven't checked out that article, but I definitely need to. I saw on the grey's anatomy writer blog that they were already writing episode 12 for the season this past week. I don't know how they will be able to pull their weight in a strike if they have already put in a year's worth of writing!