Wednesday, October 26, 2005

And while we are on the subject of hair salons

Italy vacation countdown: T minus 9 days.

Note: Sidebar that is usually located on the right is at the bottom of the page, due to the size of the photos...in case you are looking for it....

I am well past the fear and trepidation of having a perfect stranger who works at a hair salon that I literally walked into off the street, who can’t speak my language, begin to color, highlight, and cut my hair. Yes, taking pictures into the salon help, but that is not a reasonable solution to the inevitable questions that are posed to me by the stylist.

I went through this in Korea, Taiwan, and now, Germany. Strangely, I have made my peace with the fear and anxiety that descends upon me each time I enter the salon. Simply making the appointment is taxing as the receptionist and I use a calendar and sign language to hone in on what I am actually requesting: a hair appointment. Telephoning the salon for an appointment is out of the question.

As I sit in the chair, inwardly scrutinizing whether this stylist “knows what he or she is doing”, I usually come full circle from anxiety to quiet resolution. I always tell myself: worst case scenario, I can cut my hair short….

So, next time you are sitting in the stylist chair, think of me.

4 comments:

Missy said...

sniff. that's the saddest story i've heard in a while.

Hachie Gal said...

Hey...it is a coping thing.

Anonymous said...

Aren't there any of the larger salons from the UK or france - maybe in a hotel - that you could go to? that's what we did in BP and it worked out pretty well...

-michael

Hachie Gal said...

You know, that is exactly what I did in Korea (went to the Marriott). I am not sure what the options are here, but I do need to investigate that....thanks for reminding me...