Friday, April 21, 2006

Another good use for that Easter egg

Before I am accused of being too “Dr. Brennan-ish” by spouting anthropological babble about the Easter decorating rituals of the German people (does anyone watch Bones? Then, you’ll get the reference), I must point out some interesting observations I noticed as I toured Germany over this past Easter holiday.

Observation #1: Christmas is not the only holiday in which trees are decorated.

Apparently, indoor and outdoor plants and trees are festooned with decorated eggs of all sorts – real, plastic, painted…you name it. It’s apparently known as “the egg tree” (clever, huh?). Decorating evergreen or leafless trees with eggs at Easter have long been the tradition in Germany.

The origins of German Easter traditions are usually tied to the pagan worship of the goddess of fertility, “Eastee,” or “Eastre,” “Eostre” or “Ostara” and the coming of spring. The egg and rabbit were symbols of fertility and new birth to the Germanic tribes. Early Germans lit bonfires to welcome spring, and in many towns today, men in towns and cities across Germany collect wood, sometimes old Christmas trees, and create piles for Easter night's (Saturday) celebration. OK…so some of these early German dudes must’ve thought, “two good things...trees and eggs…that are good together”. And voila, the egg tree?

Mosel River Valley 0406 019

Mosel River Valley 0406 015

Extension of Observation #1: Some homes even have eggs hanging from a branch from the ceiling the foyer of a house. I saw this as well in a couple German cafes, but have no photos to share….sorry!

Observation #2: This egg-decorating theme apparently carries over to the decoration of public fountains and monuments.

Mosel River Valley 0406 083

Mosel River Valley 0406 088

Observation #3: Every other store window was decorated with Easter bunnies….I mean every time I turned around I saw these little guys. I knew it was Easter, but I never seemed to notice this in the States…not sure why. OK, first up…the chocolate bunny…a perennial favourite.

Cologne & Aachen 038

Trivia question: Anyone know why the Easter bunny brings eggs and not the Easter chicken?

Munich March 2006 060

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love BONES! I did get the reference. If you find out the answer to the Easter bunny question please enlighten me! My German grandmother and great-grandmother always had an Easter tree so I have one too! We always had huge Easter celebrations when I was younger with them! Thanks for the reminder! TH