Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Amsterdam

The Budman and I decided to take the last remaining German holiday until November and extend it into a 4 day weekend in Amsterdam. Well, not actually 4 days, rather like 3, since the Budman left for India on Sunday. Still, we looked forward to a few days of R&R, so we were a bit caught unawares by two things:

First, it’s hard to believe by the some of the early photos that it’s June. It was downright cold, drizzly, and wet on the first day or so. No worries as the last day was gorgeous. Here’s Bud in Dam Square…

Amsterdam HY 0606 001

Amsterdam HY 0606 029

Note: Could it be the 2006 Christmas photo???? At least we have one in the running....

Secondly, the Dutch were ecstatic over their second win in the World Cup and advancement to the second round. It was a sea of orange everywhere, with people (and I mean TONS of people) celebrating the entire weekend. At first, I said, "Why orange as the team color", since the Dutch flag is red, white, and blue. Ah, then I learned a bit of history...the Dutch Monarchy and the House of Orange...ahhhh....

Using a tried and true approach for sightseeing in the rain, we decided on a change of venue and visited two of the finest museums in the world to see the artwork of two of Amsterdam’s most treasured sons: Rembrandt and Van Gogh. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOH! I bet those museums were great! I remember hearing about the "orange" fest during the WInter Olympics. They were showing the fans watching the speed skating and they were crazy in orange!

Hachie Gal said...

Then you begin to understand what we saw last weekend.

Missy said...

I was showing off your pictures to a friend of mine and she asked me how long you guys have been married. When I replied that I guess 15 or 20 years (I have no idea really) she was shocked! She said you look in your twenties in the photos!

Thought it would make your day.

:)

Hachie Gal said...

22 years...and yes, it made my day.