Friday, June 30, 2006

Buda and Pest

It's been 9 years since I first visited Budapest. It is a changed city from the one I remembered:

* the airport is new, or at least refurbished since I last flew into the run-down little airport guarded my military men with "oozies". No guns in sight this time.

* the city seemed cleaner...building exteriors had been scrubbed and generally seemed in better repair.

* there is a building boom going on. Cranes dotted the skyline and building refubishment or constuction was on every street.

What had not changed is that June/July is Budapest is hot and humid. I remember that all too well and that lovely hot weather greeted me again. Highs of 96-76 degrees. Remember, I was coming from the cool temps of mid to upper 70s in Germany.

And then there is that that Danube River...which is not not blue today, but maybe it was once upon a time. Still, both times I've visited Budapest (one side is the "Buda" side, the other side is the "Pest" side), it was been a memorable trip...family members awaited me on both journeys.

So, to start off the Budapest tour....the Danube River.

Budapest June 2006 039

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see more pics... When you came to visit us, you actually flew into a different airport that was from communist-era Hungary. I actually thought the architecture was pretty cool, but yes it was quite rundown.

Ferihegy II is the new airport - well, new meaning 6-7 years. But much nicer.

Matt and I are very jealous that you were able to go back! We need to make it back to see the changes ourselves. And I definitely remember the hot and humid summers...

m

Hachie Gal said...

I hope to have some posted today and tomorrow. I wondered if the airports were different... the new one was so much newer and more laid out that I could not imagine it was a renovatio. Thanks for letting me know.