Friday, July 21, 2006

I’m just not sure

We were headed to Covent Garden for lunch…it was a nice, sunny, and very warm, summer day in London. Covent Garden, just a 5 minute walk from our hotel, was full of shoppers, tourists, street musicians, opera singers, jugglers, “human monuments”, and …well, I’m just not sure.

I first spied…let’s call him “LGM” (Little Green Man)... as the Budman and I headed to our luncheon destination. There he was, sitting under the shade of one of the Covent Garden buildings, having a little pasta salad for lunch. He was even using plastic cutlery.

So, in an attempt to inject a little humor into a passing conversation, I remarked to him, as we walked leisurely by, “So, I guess even Martians have to eat?” I meant it in the nicest way possible. I was pleasant. I thought even a bit clever. Apparently not.

He said, and this is a direct quote, “Do you think that’s what I am?”. OK, it’s really good that we don’t say the first things that bubble up in our brains as my first response would have been, “Yea, duh…I would not have said it if I did not think so”. I refrained, lest the wrath of LGM be hurled down upon me.

We did see him after lunch entertaining passers-by, if you can call that entertaining.

London 0706 005

OK, let’s observe the facts:

• LGM is green.
• I clearly see pointed ears.
• None of the Martian imagery I’ve ever seen has shown Martians with full heads of hair (he was slick as a billard’s ball up there).
• I must confess – the pseudo Roman/Greek skirt outfit he was wearing didn’t really fit but 3 out of 4 ain’t bad.

So, if LGM is in fact, not a little green man, is he supposed to be some other kind of alien? Middle earth man, a.k.a. a “Tolkenisque” creature? I’ll even go out on a limb here…some Greek mythological creature from Hades? He is carrying a hatchet. Or is LGM the metaphorical personification of Evil or Death?

London 0706 004

You make the call.

1 comment:

Michael Colvin said...

Hmmm. A green tourist attraction that bites the hand that feeds. Well that's London for you!