Monday, January 15, 2007

Resolutions

Believe it or not, I am one of those people who actually sets New Year’s resolutions and many times, actually keep them. Maybe it is my goal orientation, project planning, or sheer determination; if I can put a plan together, then the likelihood of my achieving that resolution increase exponentially.

So, after another bout with the “creeping crud, cold, and cough” (yes, again!), I decided to put some of those resolutions in writing, and document them for purposes of my personal accountability.

Number 1 on the list: German language skills. Given the hectic pace of work (it just never seems to let up), the reality of attending a regularly scheduled language class is…let’s be blunt…just not to going to happen in the foreseeable future. Budman agrees, and feels the same pressures to communicate without sufficient language skills almost on a daily basis. So, we’ve decided to give the “German language tapes at home” a whirl. The plan includes (a) purchase of reputable language tapes (check – purchased during holiday break in the US), (b) set time each morning of 30 minutes before work to study German (check – 6:30 am has been set), and (c) find a study partner to keep me accountable (check – Budman is committed to this, too).

If nothing else, I should learn enough German to make those Saturday mornings of communications with Deutsche Post a little less painful.

Number 2 on the list: Let's run another marathon. The 2006 Paris Marathon was memorable for no other reason than it was Paris, but I was less than pleased with the finish time. So, I am deciding 2007 will be the year of another marathon, most likely in September. Race still TBD but I have my sights on a couple.

Number 3: work-life balance. I’ve decided to become downright guarded in ensuring that a few other areas of my life do not suffer if and when the long-ish work hours cut into personal time (i.e. sleep, diet, exercise). Several strategies being put in place to address that one.

Number 4: continued travel. In 2006, I really did not have trouble fulfilling this resolution last year…looking to visit more of Europe in 2007!

Number 5: Get to know Dusseldorf. Related to #3, I would like to explore a bit more of the city I live in…try out different Dusseldorf restaurants, visit many of the museums I’ve never visited, etc. …just simply learn more of what the city has to offer.

Wish me luck!

No comments: