Monday, January 29, 2007

Visiting the doctor

Recently, I've had a bout of illness. A persistent cold and cough that has bothered me off and on for about 10 weeks now. A couple of weeks ago, I finally broke down and made an appointment with a GP ("General Practioner") to have this thing checked out.

Step #1: I took for granted how simple making the appointment was going to be. Actually it can be quite challenging finding a doctor when you are sick, don't speak the local language too well, and the doctors' numbers you do have are no longer in service. I mean, you just can't open up the phone book and start “dialing for doctors”. Even if you find a doctor in your area with that specialty, then you have to navigate the receptionist that does not speak English.

So far, my self-paced German language tapes have only taught me....Ich bin krank (I am sick) and Mein name ist Hachie Gal (my name is Hachie Gal). I haven't covered the chapter on German vocabulary for symptoms and illnesses.

OK, so I found some British consulate website that had a listing of English speaking German doctors in Dusseldorf and ...yes, with their specialties listed as well. I rang this fellow up and spoke to the doc himself (as the receptionist did not speak English...had I already mentioned that was a problem?). Appointment was made for the next day.

Step #2: I took a cab from the apartment to the doctor's office on the appointed date and time. Now, mapquest noted it was only 4 1/2 miles, but after about 20 minutes of riding through the streets of Dusseldorf, I was convinced I was actually headed to a doctor’s office in Berlin. Eventually, I found the place, and while the doctor was a nice older doctor gentleman from Nigeria (has been practicing medicine in Germany for 44 years), let’s just say I am probably going to be locating a new doctor closer to the house, and one that “I connect” with a bit more. Still, the time to find a doctor in a new city is not when you need one. Besides, how difficult can it be to diagnose a cold and cough?

Step #3: The answer is “apparently, it takes multiple visits”. Visit #1 included the doctor asking the requisite questions, blood pressure check, listening to the chest, etc. I left the office that day with prescriptions in hand, but a request to make a return visit two days later for blood work. Not sure why both of these tasks could not have been completed on the first visit, but again my language skills (or lack thereof) precluded me from getting the real skinny on that one.

Visit #2 allowed the blood to be drawn. Ten minutes later on was back n the road again headed home. My cab fare to/from the doctor’s office cost me more than my doctor’s visit.

Visit #3 was all about getting the results of the blood work (now, why could they not call me with the results?). Upon arrival for the third visit, I had an EKG performed as well (no, not because there was anything suspected to be wrong…just because I had not had one in 2 years…heck, I have never had an EKG). Long story short, I had a cough and cold. Still, I have been recommended to have my thyroid checked at another doctor’s office and then come back for visit #5 to talk about that.

What gives?

I know now, courtesy of some insight from a work colleague. Remember, the German health care system is a national one; apparently, the doc gets paid “per visit by the patient”. Even though I am paying my little nominal fee for every visit, the doctor is getting paid by the health care system every time I come into the office.

Moral of the story: It is not as simple as just one visit; get all the tests, blood work, and exam done at once. It is more like the equivalent of a 5 course meal….

No comments: