Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Taking it one step further

As if I hadn't bonded enough with German doctors this month, I’ve been trying to get that annual dental check-up completed. Just what I need, more reasons to meet and greet the Dusseldorf medical community.

Before I begin, kudos to the Budman are well deserved! He actually took the leap of faith, located a dentist in our neighbourhood (within walking distance) that we really liked and spoke wonderful English. His offices are new and clean, and his technique excellent. He was the guinea pig. So, when it came time for my annual teeth cleaning and check-up, the dentist was already located – excellent!

The annual exam went smoothly enough, but a return visit was required to replace three cracked fillings. Hence, my appointment of yesterday.

One slight aberration in the process of putting in new fillings; German dentists actually “ask” patients if they want a “deadening shot” prior to the commencement of drilling. Heck, yea! "Do not pass 'Go', do not collect 200 dollars". To me, that is simply non-negotiable. Another good reason for dentist and patient to be able to communicate (smile).

So, as the first replacement filling was in place, the dentist began pulling off his gloves, and proceeded to conclude the activity. “But wait, aren’t there 2 more fillings to be replaced?, I asked. My dentist nodded in the affirmative.

Ah, apparently the billing process for dentists works a lot like the billing process for doctors in Germany. Why do all the dental work in one visit when you can spread the work out and be paid for 3 appointments?

I was dreading the first dental appointment anyway, so this means I have 2 more appointments to fret over. Again, excellent.

No comments: