Friday, May 30, 2008

she is loose on the roads

Yes, the first of week of driving to and from work. I have been let loose on the UK roads. Although still in my temporary car, with the X3 on official order, here are my initial observations:

* I keep walking to the left hand side of the car to get in...yes...that darn steering wheel is on the right hand side.

* When I reach for the gear shift, I reach with my right hand...oops, that won't work because I need to shift with my left hand.

* judging corners when driving on the right hand side of the road is hard work.

* don't get me started on figuring out who has the right-of-way on London roundabouts. Think NYC traffic with roundabouts going on and off of highways.

* scratch that last statement ... theya ren't called highways here...they are dual carriageways.

* sticker shock...gas is about 10 USD a gallon. So, you Texans don't complain.

* On Day 3 of driving, I actually ventured to drive to Heathrow Airport to drop off a colleague - had I lost my mind?

and the final comment - I still have to take a driving test to be leagl long-term. it is not as bad as it seems, I do have a 12 month grace period but that clock is ticking...four months into the twelve month countdown already.

No comments: