Sunday, December 05, 2010

All things royal

Of course the moment that THE wedding was announced, the race to get the first "William and Kate" merchandising out the door was on. We can certainly expect the obligatory plates, mugs, pictures, tea towels, etc. but do I really need a souvenir oyster card with their mugs on the face of the card?

For those who are not in the know, an "oyster card" is a plastic chipped card that allows travelers in London to pay for underground train and bus journeys instantly. And yes, the card is set to get a special makeover to feature an image of the happy couple.

800272933_7077518-597x362-1291416461078_304x185_inline

It has been noted on the Transport for London website that locals and tourists will be able to snap up the one-off cards but time is of the essence as they will be produced in a restricted volume. Hurry, hurry!

As for me, I think I will take a pass on this souvenir item. Quite frankly, I have my wedding souvenir already earmarked. You see, the happy couple have picked April 29th, 2011 as their wedding date, and this particular Friday has been declared a national holiday (translation: a day off from work). The preceding weekend is Easter, and in the UK, Good Friday and Easter Monday are both national holidays as well. When I combine the 3 holidays and 4 weekend days, I can take 10 consecutive days off for the price of 3 vacation days. Now that is a souvenir I can get on board with.
And before you say, "Bah Humbug - you live in the country, you should celebrate the day in the city", the Budman and I have already decided we are fleeing the country during this royal spectacle. I can watch the wedding like the rest of the world...on TV.

Apparently this week is already being dubbed as the most unproductive work week of 2011.

No comments: