Friday, July 22, 2011

BBC Proms 2011

Decided to acquire the Proms Season Tickets again this year, but thus far, have only been able to get to the first one of the season, Prom 9.  Lovely program of composers I was not well acquainted with - a summer evening well spent:

Scenes Historiques - Suite No. 2  - Sibelius
Symphony No. 7 in C Major - Sibelius
Piano Concerto No. 3 - Bartok
Sinfonietta - Janacek

BBC Proms 2011

Besides the lovely program, two ah-ha moments.

(1) I clearly purchased the wrong season tickets this year...how does one intend to buy floor seats and end up with gallery standing only seats? No clue, but I did.

(2)  Once I climbed the 5 levels to the top of the Royal Albert Hall, I realized that I was with a different caliber of folk.  Not good or bad...just different.  Apparently, these people were packing for either hiking to Base Camp Level 1 or intended to overnight it at the RAH for tomorrow's BBC Prom #10.  These folks had brought air mattresses, rugs, blankets, pillows, coolers, food and wine, etc.  Many reclined in full horizontal position, shoes off, eyes closed...

it was downright odd.

No comments: