Thursday, July 14, 2005

Observations of London

Yes, Buddy had a daytrip to London this last Tuesday. I wasn’t thrilled, given the recent events in that great city . Thankfully, it was a quick trip – fly in, fly out…all in one day. I was rather interested, however, to hear his observations about the mood of London just a few days following the terrorist bomb blasts.

Interestingly enough, he said that the Brits appear to have that “just get on with it” attitude. The main thing he observed (and was also told by the taxi drivers) is that traffic in London had been horrific over the first couple of days following the bombs. Apparently, many Londoners initially were taking taxis, rather than using the tube or buses. I suppose I can understand that… Apparently, even that activity has now subsided, just a week since the blasts.

My EDS boss and colleagues working in London chime in with similar remarks. My boss told me yesterday that Londoners are essentially “thumbing their noses at the terrorists” by returning to their regular routines, starting to use mass transportation, and just living their lives as they normally would. Apparently, the mayor of London has been taking the tube everywhere to show his confidence in using mass transport (lots of photos showing this in the European media), including going to and from work as well as to meetings.

I am headed to London next Monday for two days of business and then on to Warsaw, so I will let you know my impressions as well.

No comments: