Monday, August 28, 2006

I must be “postally” challenged

It really should not be this confusing! I’m a smart gal, or so I like to think…at least of average critical thinking and problemsolving skills. Three university degrees. Have lived in multiple foreign countries now. So, one would assume that after 1 year, 4 months, a 17 days of living in Germany, I would have mastered the German postal service.

Short answer: I clearly haven’t.

Every time I venture into my local neighborhood Deutsche Post office to mail a letter…a post card…a package, the process is different, not to mention the price. I try to be prepared and have my letters properly addressed and German package shipping forms all completed BEFORE I get to the window. No one likes to wait behind the lady that is filling out her forms.

Example #1: Sadly, every time I proudly present my package to the postal worker, it is pointed out that I have incorrectly addressed the box. “Put outgoing addresses in the center of the package.” Next time I visit, it’s “No, don’t put outgoing addresses in the center of the package; put them towards the right hand bottom corner”. Then, comes the fact that I NEVER has completed the right packing slip/form. I even ask the worker before leaving each time, “For future reference which form do I need to complete for this type of package?” This way, I will be prepared next time. They even provide me with blank copies of the form to take home, fill out, and bring back upon my next visit. Invariably, I am then told by another postal worker upon my next visit, that the wrong form was once again used…the form that a postal employee found perfectly acceptable the last time.

Example #2: The prices of letters and cards are based on weight and size. So, there is no way one can put the correct amount of airmail potage before getting to the post office. Weight of the letter – now, that is something I can understand, but the size of the letter is a new twist on an old theme. OK, I can be flexible. Still, the same stationary envelope (with one sheet of paper in it) has now been priced at least three different ways. What gives?

Example #3: And yes, I have been chastised on many occasions because I have not put the little “AIRMAIL” stamp on the letter or card. Yet, during my last visit, I was told this was not required.

Example #4: Why has Deutsche Post not adopted the “peel and stick” stamp? Come on, the days of licking stamps should be long gone now.

Example #5: Sometimes I am required to fill out a customs form when mailing a small package or a box to the US. Sometimes, it is not required. It appears to have less to do with the size of the box, the weight of the item, the destination, or the actual content inside the box and more to do with the whim of the current worker processing my items. And no, there is nothing written down, no step-action tables, no flow charts, no government brochures that describe the required steps. At this point, I’d take something, anything, even if it was in German.

On the plus side, the post office is open till 6:30 on the weekdays…a far cry from the US postal service hours.

Still, I am convinced I am going to master this simple task, which will probably be two weeks before I end up moving to the next destination. Isn’t that always the way it works? So, I guess I still have time yet to figure this out.

No comments: