Thursday, June 26, 2008

Royal Ascot

For the next few days, please allow me a few momentary diversion to recount my inaugural visit to Ascot...Royal Ascot, if you will.

Ascot tickets 002

There is alot to recount, and in no apparent order, here were the highlights:

* Ascot is the racetrack where a series of horseraces are run on a grass track...for those of you who may not know and have never seen My Fair Lady (and yes, I was on my best behavior unlike Eliza Doolittle, and did not scream at the top of my lungs, "Move your bloomin' axxx").

* It is called Royal Ascot because it is during this week that the Queen, Prince Phillip, and her royal entourage come every day to the races. We arrived just in time to see the royals parade around the track in their open carriages. Pretty fun actually!

* As a sidenote, Liz's own horse was entered in the first race and WON!

* Hats are a must at Ascot...photos forthcoming, but if you want a mental image in advance...think Audrey Hepburn's black hat in the opening scene of Breakfast at Tiffany's...only mine was in gray.

* While on the subject of hats...people spend a fortune...100 GBP is only a starter (USD 200)...the prices only go up from there.

* Took the train to Ascot...us and apparently everyone else. After waiting on the platform in a station in west London with 2-3 trains stopping with no availability, standing or seated, we hit pay dirt. Decided to take the train back into Waterloo Station into central London and came back out via the same route - we even had seats on this train.

* Let's just say, I was NOT impressed by the majority of ladies apparel. Not sure what I expected but it was mostly cheap and tacky if I do say so myself.

* There are two main sporting events at Royal Ascot: horse racing and people watching. Both equally fun.

* We did place a couple of bets, but no winners. No worries, the event was a winner in and of itself. Although now that I think about it, when the Budman bought his train tickets, someone before him had left 12 pounds in the case machine so I guess we did have a winner after all.

* In fact "rain, rain, go away...come again another day" held true. Great news since nobody wants to be dressed to the nines in a linen day dress and coat, hat, and heels...and go all soggy from a rainstorm.

No comments: