Friday, April 16, 2010

two types of combustion

All, I can say is, "it is fun watching from the cheap seats!" If curious, let me explain....

This week, I witnessed two forms of combustion and hot air: 

(1)  The first one (a literal reference) was fueled by the Icelandic volcanoe that has spewed hot ash across the UK and continental Europe, essentially closing airports all across western Europe.  As I write, Heathrow, Gatwick, London City (UK et al) have been closed for two days solid with no real confirmation as to when the air space over the UK will re-open.  At the earliest, it will be 1 AM Saturday morning but I am certain that will be pushed back again....I thank my lucky stars that I am not travelling for business or pleasure.  Whew, timing is everything.

(2)  The second one (a methaporical reference) relates to last night's prime ministerial candidate debate.  I expected the usual sales rhetoric, the pushing of various party platforms, and candidate spiel that was long on aspirational goals but short on specifics.  I mean, after all, I have seen way too many US presidential candidate debates not to expect this.  And I was not dissappointed.  Yea, lots of hot air, finger pointing, and blame game...again, nothing new.

What I was surprised by is that there has never been a televised PM candidate debate in the UK, and not a debate at all in over 50 years.  I can't imagine that british voters would not have demanded such a dialogue...maybe that says something about voter apathy.  Regardless, this morning's TV news programs were all sharing their thoughts on "which candidate/party" had won the debate.  No clear agreement on that, as is often the case.  I did play the bit of the voyeur by watching the debate and making my own assessment, which is a moot point, I realize.  .

The whole election process in the UK is a rather speedy one, comparatively speaking when looking at US presidential eelections.  The entire process will be about 4-5 weeks.

In reality, it is entirely possible that the Icelandic ash will linger longer that the UK election process. Now that is something I can get on board with.

No comments: