Thursday, April 26, 2012

Special dedication of Sunday's marathon

As is my habit, my "remembrance team" was with me in spirit on the day of my running the London marathon. These are the people that have donated to my charity, Cancer Research UK in honor or memory of a loved one, family, or friend that has been touched by cancer.

As I waited patiently for the race to commence (I had about 20 minutes before I could cross the start line), I read each person's name silently and the donor who had brough them to my attention. In all, there were over 100 names on the list.

On Sunday, however, I remembered a very special HP work colleague who had bravely fought cancer but succumbed to the disease a couple of weeks ago. She had donated for my cause, encouraged me through this journey, and rarely ever spoke of her own challenges with the disease.

Fiona was a lovely person inside and out and it was my great pleasure to dedicate my London marathon run last Sunday to her. Interestly enough, I thought of her a number of times during the day, and had one of my best runs in a long time. I know she was cheering me on.

This is why I am doing what I am doing! To Fiona!

Taking it one step at a time!
HY

2 comments:

Cyn In London said...

She was a lovely lady and this is quite a tribute!

Hachie Gal said...

She was a super lady....it was an honor.