Sunday, January 15, 2006

Some of the types of things one ponders when alone with his/her thoughts for 2 ½ hours

Paris Marathon Training: Week 6 of 18
Today’s target run: 2 hours, 36 minutes
Today’s completed run: 2 hours, 36 minutes


I miss my running buddies. Literally, as well as figuratively. As a result, one has a myriad of “alone” time to ponder the great mysteries of the world, reflect on nature, “watch the world go by (or “float by” as is usually the case as I watch the ships sail along the Rhein River), or more practically...mentally put together to-do lists for home and work.

Usually, I would prefer to spend this running time chit-chatting with friends (or the Budman when he is running with me), but training for marathon #11 has been spent mostly running the trails alone. As a result, I can have some of the wackiest self-conversations with myself. I wish that I could say that there are some riveting “take-aways” that I could share with you, but alas, these thoughts are usually pretty simplistic and are mainly ways to keep my mind off of the bitter winter wind/cold temperatures and just get through my runs.

Point in case during today’s 2 ½ hour run:

Thought 1: Why do the Germans not dress their dogs in “cute little outfits” like the Taiwanese?
Answer: Don’t know.

Thought 2 (this is a two-parter): How long can a person run with the cold wind blowing in his/her face without having to blow their nose? Extrapolated over a 2 ½ run, how many Kleenex tissues must an average runner pack into their running belt?
Answer: Today, my count was 9 tissues used; 12 tissues packed.

Thought 3: How many more days do I have before the shortest day of the year (January 21st, BTW) when I can begin to expect the daylight hours begin to lengthen?
Answer: 5 more days.

Thought 4: What is the first thing I want to do when I return to the apartment today?
Answer: Hot bubble bath, followed by a nap.

Thought 5: Why do walkers have to walk 3-4 people across and essentially hog the running and biking paths, when they know "good and well" there are others using the paths?
Answer: During the early parts of my runs, the answer is usually more benevolent, such as “they are talking and don’t hear the other runners and bikers”. As I am nearing the last parts of my long run, my answers can become a bit more caustic…I will not share further.

Thought 6: What can one do to stop the eyes tearing up from the effects of the winter wind on an early morning run?
Answer: Don’t know.

Thought 7: Holly’s list of top 10 worst movie actors and 10 worst movie actresses?
Answer: OK, so I technically have had this list for some time, but I was only half-way through my run and decided to review my lists in the hopes that I could kill 10-15 minutes.

Thought 8: What are the main differences between summer marathon training versus winter marathon training?
Answer: Essentially, weather, clothing required, and more running in the dark versus daylight.
Add-on thought: OK, I had one more, but the brain was starting to freeze and the blood supply was needed more in my legs than my brain….

And yes, this is supposed to be fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love your note... don't some people say they find solutions to all world's problems while running? I never could and mind you never got to run for more than 1 hour at the best of times... but believe you me, it could be worse... once you're down to "breath in" - one, two "breath out" one, two... that when you hit intelectual bottom...

One remark though if I may... from a daytime perspective we are on the rise since December 21... may have to do with the oxygen in your legs ;-) or am I being confused rather than clumsy again?

Hachie Gal said...

Sadly, it had all to do with being poor in the science department and accepting at face value faulty information. Yes, apparently, the shortest day of the year is 12/21, not 1/21. I wish I could blame it lack of oxygen but no...just ignorance. BTW: seems you are neither clumsy nor confused any more.

Missy said...

U.S. States and their capitals. It's a time-killer / educational tool all in one! I'd also recommend countries and their capitals except I don't know a song that lists all the countries of the world in alphabetical order.