Monday, August 20, 2007

It is not always a fairy tale

Let's just say, I will not go into the details but the gest...well,I think you'll understand my frustration. And laugh a bit just like I did...after a fashion.

This evening I needed some PC/technical support. Won't tell you what I needed, the company I was calling, or the specifics of my request. I had, however, exhausted the limits of my technology skills and needed to call (literally) upon the expertise of a help desk.

Now, I am intimately familiar with the concepts of help desks and outsourcing so it came as no surprise that while I had dialed an in-country German help desk telephone number, my call was routed to an off-shore location. India, to be exact.

My question seemed simple enough - "How can I do X?" I'd estimated 15 minutes max to be talked through the steps so that I could handle my issue in the future. You know the expression, "Teach a man to fish, and you'll feed him for life."

How I had the patience to last the first 40 minutes, I haven't a clue. I realized early on that my help desk agent...her name, you ask? Cinderella...I kid you not...was missing more than just one glass slipper. Well, Cinderella wasn't going to snag her Prince Charming anytime soon. Let's just say, her fairy godmother needed to pop on over and waive her wand, "Ala-ca-dabra", and grant that girl some help desk training. I got nowhere...fast.

After realizing that Cindy was not going to be the ticket to the Prince's ball, I asked to be referred to one of her colleagues or a supervisor who might have a bit more insight. Well, I was passed along to ...Goldi...yes, in true fairy tale fashion. Could Goldi (a.k.a Goldilocks) solve the mystery of the help desk question before the three bears arrived home?

Answer...no. The good news is that I opened a trouble ticket and someone will call me back with an answer. I am hoping the seven dwarves are available, and "whistling while they work", can solve my dilemma.

No comments: