Monday, August 13, 2007

It just occurred to me...

After 2 1/2 years of European train travel, I can now say this is the first time I have ever been asked to show my passport when travelling across national borders via rail. In this day and age of global travel, it is not surprising that these checks are really "spot checks" and no longer contain the rigor of the immigration contols and border crossing requirements that many of us experienced prior to the formation of the EU. So, I was kinda surprised when the very polite NL police official even asked to see my passport!

What did surprise me is that he questioned my passport photo. Not in words so much, as in his demeanor. As he scrutinized my photo, looked at me, scrutinized my photo again, and then looked at me again, I began to wonder "What else can I show him to prove I am who I say I am". He then held up my passport to the side of my face and compared the photo to my face. So, showing my drivers license was not going to help as that photo shows still a different hairstyle and color.

Observation: either, he is not married (or his significant other does not change her look very often). I mean, one is apt to change her hair style and hair color in 8 years. Ladies, am I wrong here? I don't think so.

What was even more baffling was the fact that the young Canadian college student sitting next to me had left her passport in Germany. Now, how can that happen when you are travelling internationally and are taking a train to another country, such as The Netherlands? Anyway, it apparently does happen. So, after the questioning looks re: my passport photo (yes, remember, I was the compliant one and was at least carrying my passport!), Mr. Police Man says, "I will let it go this time, and let you on through, rather than sending you back to Germany".

Not to get on my soapbox, but I get the evil eye while Suzy-Q gets a free pass to Amsterdam. On the words of Monopoly, please pass GO - please collect 200 dollars. OK, the fact that she was 18-22 years old, a single female, and batted her eyelids at him and said, "please, Officer, please let me pass" probably made a bit of a difference. I am clearly no longer able to utilize that ploy....

No comments: