Saturday, February 02, 2008

Auf Wiedersehen

It's now a reality. In less than one hour, we will be UK bound. Hard to believe we have been in Germany for 2 years and 10 months - where did the time go?

For all the funny stories I've shared about the idiostyncracies of living in Germany, I can say that my life is indeed richer for the experience...hopefully a bit more tolerance for "different" ways of doing things, of approaching life, of living with people. That is the great thing about living in different parts of the world.

Germany has great history, scenery, travel destinations, food, customs, and yes, its people...I can't imagine my life now without having had that experience.

So, as I walked home last night from the tram stop for the final time, I must confess to getting a bit misty-eyed and sentimental. No matter where one lives, it can indeed become "home" if not but for a short time. As I reached the front door of the flat, I said to myself, "OK, this chapter is now officially closed, and the UK chapter is waiting to start."

And with that the German adventure drew to a close. Thanks to all of you who made the German experience so memorable and for those of you who travelled here to "enjoy" it with us.

Auf Wiedersehen, Dusseldorf and Germany!

No comments: