Thursday, July 15, 2010

Trip 2 and 3

Since the last post, I have made two week long trips back to the US...one in mid June and one in early July. Both trips were focused on my aunt but I also tried that "let's work European business hours", so I essentially worked full days from 2:30 - 10:30 am. Ouch!

Peggy is improving incrementally but she still struggles with swallowing and cognition. The skilled nursing center is a godsend, being a pleasant surrounding, modernly and aesthetically appealing, and staffed by some of the most loving and compassionate caregivers I know. A true blessing.

She receives 3 types of therapy a day: physical, speech, and occupational. She is learning to stand, as well as trying to move herself out of the bed, but speech is still non-existent. Somehow we still find a way to communicate.

During the last trip, I did make a detour enroute to the hill country, and celebrated the Fourth of July service with FBC Waxahachie friends. I had the foresight to wear blue and white clothing and knew the choir special being performed, so I was roped into singing in the choir that Sunday morning. It was great to see old friends, hugs necks and hit that high B in the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Indeed, there is no place like home.

No comments: