Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Creature Comforts

Living abroad exposes one to so many new experiences: history that is only read about in books, interesting people and places, exotic cultures, and delicious but different cuisines. One’s perspective can really be enlarged, for which I believe is a good thing in this global age.

However, on a recent trip back to Texas for a friend’s wedding, I realized that there are some things I miss. Not to sound like a homer, and in no apparent order, here is a list of creature comforts that I must admit were heartily enjoyed on my trip home last week:

· Texas heat – Yes, it’s true. Having had only a little real summer heat this summer, I can say I miss the dryness of Texas heat. For those of you suffering through 100+ degree heat, I know I must sound like a fool. Just remind me of this fact, when I complain about no A/C in Germany. Side benefit to Texas heat: my hair always does better with less humidity.

· Air conditioning – connected with the first bullet, all stores, businesses, and homes have air con. Sheer heaven.

· Wedding cake – What is it about wedding cake with sour cream icing that is so delicious? I had missed it so much, I had two pieces. No, Dorothy can’t get this in Oz.

· Tex-Mex - It’s a cliché, I know. Tex-Mex is simply good for the soul. Everyone needs a weekly dose to keep the body and mind in good working order.

· Barbecue – Ditto the previous comment re: Tex-Mex. OK, so there is a food theme here…

· Jumbo size, biggie size, super size, Texas size (whatever you call big size) glasses of ice tea – if sweetened tea, all the better.

· 24-hour shopping at Wal-Mart – We went shopping anytime we wanted or needed to and hit the aisles at the Waxahachie Wal-Mart. We arrived at 12:30 am (after the rehearsal dinner) just because we could! Jet-lag also contributed to that decision.

· Product availability - Yes, I found everything on my list at one store. With the exception of the new PC purchase, we picked up everything at Sam’s store. No empty shelves where products should be, but are currently out of stock. No “getting to the grocery store early in the day because by late afternoon, everything is picked over”. It was an embarrassment of riches.

· Crepe Myrtle trees – no where else are these trees as lovely as they are in Texas in the dead of summer. Next time you see a crepe myrtle, remember that I said this.

· Gas prices – You think it’s bad in the US! Enough said.

· English speaking hair dresser – Not that my German hair stylist doesn’t speak a little English, and is a vast improvement over my Korean and Taiwanese hair stylists in terms of capability, but there is still something comforting about getting your hair cut, colored, and high-lighted by someone who I can speak with. I relaxed in the chair for the first time in years, just knowing this simple fact.

· Old friends and family – they’re only at home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is from Tammy, another Texas gal. (The one who never travels! ha) I am glad you enjoyed these comforts again and now I will think of you and not take them so for granted! Best wishes for you back in Germany. Italy in November sounds so romantic! Waxahachie in November does not have the same ring! Please post pictures so we can live vicariously through you both! :o) Take care! Tammy

Hachie Gal said...

Tammy - thanks for posting. I love to see that people are reading and commenting on the blog. Keep checking back. Great seeing you at the wedding...have a good school year.