Thursday, August 04, 2005

OK, I give...

Last weekend, we were in Waxahachie for less than 72 hours...yes, you read that correctly. Because Buddy and I wanted to attend a wedding of some dear friends, wild horses could not have kept us away. So, we made the quick trip back. Due to the fact that I already had either taken most of my vacation OR have it already planned (i.e. 2 weeks in Italy in November), we only had a few days to play with.

We flew out on Thursday AM, arriving in Dallas around 3 PM; by Sunday at 9 AM, we were headed back to D-FW airport (our flight departed at 2:50 pm, but we did not leave until almost 7 pm). I know I am preaching to the choir, but flying home to the US on US airline carriers takes an incredible amount of self-discipline, patience, and an ability to curb the tongue (which is not always easy for me).

I suppose it is too many years living abroad, flying airlines other than US airlines that has spoiled me. Yet, every time we fly on a US airline back/within the states, we are shocked by the state of our domestic airlines. I realize that American, Delta, Continental, Northwest et al are simply trying to stay alive, but the degree of difference in terms of customer service, state of the aircrafts, on-time arrivals, and the general hassle-free experience is shocking. I suppose I would not even be aware of the disparity in US airlines if that was all I flew; but alas, I am painfully aware of the differences as I routinely fly other European and Asian airlines.

Now, being that most of our travel is destined to/from D-FW airport, it will not take a rocket scientist to figure out which US airline we are predominantly interfacing with. Let me give you a hint (and in the words of Buddy) this airline is “nothing special in the air”.

Indulge me as I share a few examples:
  • Customer Service Attitude: Flight crews, flight attendants in particular, and ticket agents, are downright surly when dealing with customers in the US. This is a marked difference from their global airline counterparts. It does not matter if you are on crutches or in a wheelchair, have a small baby in your arms, or are Santa Claus in the flesh, each customer is treated with the same level of contempt. I sympathize, I really do. Asking a flight attendant for assistance or a question can be almost life-threatening…proceed at your own risk. I realize that these people are on the front lines trying to keep their jobs, and their company together. However, the customers are not the enemy; they are what are keeping the airlines in business.

  • Lack of consistent information – We are compliant travelers; just give us the rules and we will follow them. Nothing is more infuriating than when you contact the airline 3+ times to verify an answer to your question (ticket confirmation, baggage limits, regulations pertaining to traveling with pets), and you get 3+ different answers. I just pray that when I get to the airport that one of the answers I have received is correct. I now pack for multiple scenarios, just in the off-chance I have to pitch something from my suitcase (which I have had to do before).

  • On-time arrivals – Can I say, that without incident, I have yet to be on an AA flight within the past 3 years to/from the US that was not late for at least one leg of the journey? Multiple reasons abound: “the aircraft is late”, “the plan must be repaired and there is not a part available, so we’re flying the part in (or worse, trying to get you a new aircraft)”, or "bad weather". Again, don’t mistake the meaning of my message. I want my aircraft to be safe and I need to fly in safe weather. It just seems to me that US airlines are running things so tightly that they don’t have any contingency built in for problems. I have yet to experience this same issue on any Asian or European flights, whether it is domestic or international flights.

  • Everything is purchased: Meals, headsets, etc. must all be purchased. Not that either of those is too great of a loss. I make sure I am not depending on the airline to satisfy my hunger needs. Now I bring my own food or eat up heartily before boarding. Many people are even packing their own headsets…Things are not quite so dire on international flights, but that time is a-comin’.

I could go on, but will stop here. Suffice to say, I am thankful that most of my air travel these days does not involve a US airline. That day will come again…in the not too near future…but until that time, I will enjoy a hassle-free airline experience for all my US friends… courtesy of any airline other than a US one.

No comments: