Thursday, August 25, 2005

The “real” football

Besides a few key food items, like Mexican food, Rotel cheese dip, and fried catfish, art-films (in English) at the Angelica and Inwood Village, all the Law & Order franchise series, and of course, family and friends, the other thing I miss about living in the US is football. When I say football, I suppose I need to clear: American-style football. And not just football, but Texas football. It is a unique aberration of that sport fan that manifests itself this time of year in Texas, whether it is a fan at the high school, collegiate, or professional level.

As I conducted my daily review of other notable blogs, one of my fellow bloggers (thanks, Amber) had created a rather cool tribute to her team of choice. As noted to the right, the thought did not originate with me. Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I'll beg her forgiveness for blatantly copying her concept. Thus, Hachie Gal will track her favorite football teams this fall, and their trials and tribulations on the gridiron. Check out the right hand side of the blog to see what I mean…

Well, I am indeed a “homer” (KTCK “The Ticket” lingo is still alive and well in my vocabulary, and I can even listen to the station over the internet). I continue to faithfully follow my teams, and cheer them on through the ups and downs of their seasons. Recently, there have been alot more downs than ups. In the case of Baylor, you must be a true fan if you proudly admit that you cheer for the team season after season, as they haven’t had a good season in years. Point in case: read today on the BU website that 17 players on the BU squad missed practice due to strep throat infections. Not a good way to kick-off the season (if you'll forgive the football metaphor).

Even if we had TV access (which we are still working on), I am sure our football viewing options would be minimal. Certainly, I would not be able to watch my favs on a regular basis but thank heavens for the internet where some of the games can be broadcast live (not the Cowboys, if you can believe that! Thanks, Jerry.).

Interesting note: There is the NFL Europe football league in Europe. As you can expect, a lot of US and Canadian football players play in this league. Many of the teams are actually based in Germany: Berlin Thunder, Amsterdam Admirals (based in the Netherlands), Cologne Centurions, Hamburg Sea Devils, Frankfurt Galaxy, and Rhein Fire. The Rhein Fire is Dusseldorf’s team, actually playing their five home games in the city of Dusseldorf. Unfortunately, they had a lackluster season in 2005, tying for last place with a 3-7 record. NFL Europe’s season runs from April through June of each year so we’ll have to wait a few more months before we can enjoy local football.

Unfortunately, not too much hoopla is made about NFL Europe or the Rhein Fire in Düsseldorf as the season came and went without Buddy and me even knowing it! Interesting side note: The Rhein Fire’s team colors are maroon and gold….think “Washington Redskins” and you’ve quite the correct mental image. This die-hard Cowboy fan may actually go into convulsions if I have to don maroon and gold clothing for a game. Some habits are just hard to break….

2 comments:

Missy said...

Those of us at dancetotherhythm are flattered by the idea stealing, not to worry. However, since yours looks so much better organized, maybe I will bring in the marketing department to do a few touch ups on the site.

Hachie Gal said...

Ah, au contraire. It is hard, if not impossible, to improve on a great idea. However, feel free to use anything you like ...although you seem to have "marketing" sources at your disposal that are not currently available to me :)