Wednesday, August 17, 2005

It’s time for German school

I can usually become accustomed to not speaking a foreign language while living in a host country, at least early on before language classes kick in. Truthfully though, some days are better than others. I get to the point where I often unintentionally block out surrounding conversations because I can’t understand the words being spoken. I'm in my own little world. It is only when I hear English (or most recently Chinese) that I am jarred back to reality and realize I can actually converse with that person.

Not speaking the local language can sometimes be an easier adjustment; sometimes it is more challenging. Yet, what is the alternative? In the words of Nike, "just do it". Perhaps “easier adjustment” is not the best choice of words. I can become “functional”. You’d think that with this being the third country I have lived in, apart from the US, I’d be at best, somewhat immune to these linguistic challenges and at worst, possess some sophisticated coping strategies.

Still, a few recent occurrences have quickly reminded me that it is probably time to learn German. Point in case:

· I receive emails, paystubs, employee insurance materials, and employee communication from my employer, EDS Germany, all in German. Thanks to my EDS colleagues in Germany and Switzerland (you know who you are), they usually inform me of what I “need to know” versus what is “nice to know”. A gal can only beg for translation services for so long. And the online translation website has a 150 word limit.

· A morning “encounter” with a German postal worker who said nothing more to me than the following words “no English” (in English, and not altogether politely) suggests that perhaps some German postal vocabulary should be first on the list of topics in future language classes. Either that, or I need some remedial etiquette classes.

· A recent trip to Paris proved that even my 5 years of French language class in high school and college allows me to more effectively get around in France than I am currently able to do in German in Düsseldorf. While my French vocabulary and pronunciation is a bit rusty, Buddy and I got along quite well with the French speaking natives. At least I like to think so. I remembered even commenting to Buddy “this living overseas is not so tough” during our French adventure last week if for no other reason than I could communicate.

My senses tell me that it’s time. Everyday, my eyes gloss over words I cannot read and my ears hear conversations that are jibberish. From an intellectual perspective, my head tells me that it would be practical, interesting, and mind expanding to learn German while my soul tells me it would be downright liberating. Even a rudimentary knowledge of German would allow me to feel a little less isolated, a little more self-sufficient, and perhaps even endear me to my German speaking colleagues and neighbors. Why have I waited this long? (I have some theories on that, but the short answer is that only so much change and "new" things can be heaped onto a person at one time).

Armed with a new resolution to learn German, and a mindset to embrace the language, I am currently in the midst of locating a language school. One candidate rises to the top: evening classes 2 days a week, a reasonable price, and a class setting of no more than 5-6 students. Buddy and I could even take classes together. Class begins on September 6th…

No comments: