Friday, March 10, 2006

Oscar Post-Game Analysis

Paris Marathon Training: Week 14 of 18
Today’s target run: 1 hour
Today’s completed run: 1 hour

There are a few annual TV events in the Young household that fall into “must-see” TV (to steal a phrase from NBC). Super Bowl, Olympics, The Westminster Dog Show (don’t knock it until you watch it), and …The Academy Awards broadcast.

Normally, I am well on my way to seeing ALL the movies nominated by the time the Academy Award nominations are announced in early February. Not just the ones in the top six categories either. I mean ALL the films nominated (excepting the shorts). And of course, by the arrival of awards night, I am ready with my Oscar ballot (already pre-scored), and settled into the sofa or bed with my popcorn, diet coke, and comfy PJs to watch the broadcast.

This year was a true exception. On Oscar night, I had seen 3, count them, 3 of the films. Ah…one of the dilemmas of not enough English language films in Germany. So, this year, I was unable to thoroughly whip any of my friends and family with my insanely accurate predictions. Even without seeing the films, I was able to think like the Oscar voters (Best Director: Ang Lee – beautiful film, new take on an old theme, Best Actor : Phillip Seymour-Hoffman – crazy bio-pic with weird voice and mannerisms, and plus, we can’t have another actor portraying a singer in a bio-pic win two years in a row, Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon - the Academy is apparently tired of giving the Oscar to women who de-glam themselves for their roles, Best Supporting Actor: George Clooney - OK, he was nominated for 3 awards and he is not going to win in the other categories so give him this one in an otherwise tight race, all the technical awards go to King Kong, all the set and costuming awards go to Memoirs of a Geisha….yada, yada, yada).

No, this year, I revelled in the fashionistas…or lack thereof. Here are a few of my personal observations and in no apparent order. Shockingly, it was a rather good (and tame year). In other words, no "swan" dresses. Still, I did veer from the “accepted” opinion on a few. That's what makes the world go round.

For you guys out there, this could be boring, so feel free to scan….

* Sandra Bullock – classic dress, nice tan, and nice up-do. Some thought it was a bit of a mess, but I gave it a thumbs-up. Color blue was a nice variation on black. Interesting side-note: Did anyone else notice that all the photos and interviews of her on Oscar night showed her hands in her pockets? Could there be trouble in paradise with the new hubby? Did anyone spy a ring on that left hand? GRADE: A

* First General Observation: OK, got it. The loosely wrapped bun at the nape of the neck is “in” this year. Runner-up: the side-do!

* Amy Adams – kudos for the nice ball-gown. While brown is not my favourite color, the red hair (yes, loosely wrapped bun appears again) and blue earrings were nice. A slight demerit for the striped piping on the dress – too Laura Ashsley???? GRADE: A -

* Naomi Watts – OK, here is where I depart from popular opinion. Flesh toned dress is last year’s thing. Also, the whimsical, flow-ey pieces of fabric looked like a first grader took a pair of pincking shears to the dress. Too much tulle. And what gives with the cape-let thing across the shoulders? And it was a Givenchy, too!!!! Finally, I was not on-board with the side-do/pony-tail/bun thing. GRADE: B- (She deserved a C but she is too pretty to score lower than that in spite of the dress).

* Keira Knightly – Again, I have a different opinion on this one from the masses. Burgundy dress and cut – pretty. Different. I can buy it. Balencia necklace – outstanding. Actually, the dress paled in comparison to the necklace. "Bow-head" alert! Did we need a pony tail with a bow as our best efforts on a hair style? Someone was actually paid for that style. Heck, I perfected that look in high school. And just a side comment: Are smoky eyes still in? Honorable mention: The girlfriend knows how to work the photographers. GRADE: B (the hair brought the score down).

* Michelle Williams – I can appreciate the whole “1920’s look” she had going. Necklace and hair totally perfected the ensemble. However, I am not a fan of that color of gold – isn’t this the color of maize? And the V-neck ruffle action seemed a bit matronly. Still, kudos for “stepping outside the box” and doing something different. Surprisingly, it was a Vera Wang. GRADE: C+

* Second General Observation: I am clearly out of “fashion” touch as I have dinged the last three looks that apparently everyone else in the free world liked. Continuing on…

* Rachel Weisz – OK, what really are the options for a pregnant woman? Black and empire waist. Still, she looked simple and classic. I can’t really diss a pregnant woman even if I wanted to. Plus, I really liked the hair…French twist/braid thing. GRADE: A

* Reese Witherspoon – nice, safe choice. Nothing really wrong here. Hit all the right buttons. Again, loosely wrapped bun at the nape of the neck. BTW: how does it happen that one "look" (a.k.a. the loosely wrapped bun) is suddenly in or out? GRADE: A-

* Jennifer Anniston – Jen, we need a new look. Your “do” is a little old news. And while the dress was fine, the gold necklace did not really work with it. I know, I know. The whole “gold-chain” look is really hot right now, but two good things (dress and necklace) did not necessarily work well together. GRADE: B

* Jada Pinkett – I can’t figure it out but her dresses always annoy me. GRADE: B-

* Hillary Swank – Yes, she had the whole “Gilda” thing going on. And that figure still looks good from her “boxing” days in Million Dollar Baby. The dress was a different style from everyone else, too. Her hair had that loose, windswept look. So far, so good. Minor point deductions because on my TV she looked …can I say it? Sweaty….GRADE: A-

* Dolly Pardon – Dolly is just…Dolly. Always a bad look, but you gotta love her just the same. GRADE: D+

* Nicole Kidman – Does she ever looked bad? Normally, I am not a fan of the cream-colored dress against the cream complexion, but the red hair (simple and straight) and diamond earrings/no necklace were classic, understated glamour. And that dress was covered in tiny beaded pearls. Second favorite dress of the night. GRADE: A

* Helena Bonham Carter – And the Oscar for WORST ensemble of the evening goes to… My first reaction: It’s Belle Watling from Gone With the Wind. What was right about any of this? Nothing…not the poofy hair, 1980’s prom dress, or white shoes (UGH – breaks every rule regarding white shoes), and the list goes on and on. GRADE: F

* Charlize Theron – Again, pretty darn good. Make-up and hair were top-notch. The dress was very “French” looking but a few points deductions for the big, hunky, left shoulder bow extravanga. It was almost as big as her head. Still….GRADE: A-

* Jennifer Lopez
– Not a big fan of J-Lo’s fashion choices. Nice alternative color, and way to work the cut of the dress to hide your figure flaw…Still, hadn’t we see this look before in Maid in Manhattan? No major faux-pas here, though. GRADE: B, as I am not a fan of the color olive, but it did look good with her skin tone.

* Third General Observation: A man’s tux is man’s tux….I am sure there are tell-tale differences but on TV, who can tell?

* Jennifer Garner – Everyone thought she looked good and that the pregnancy weight was gone. Hmmm….Still, the bust area was just a tad too unsupported, if I do say so. And I just did. Bonus: nice trip on the stage…I thought she was headed face down on national TV. GRADE: C+

* Ziyi Zhang – So, I am the rebel without a cause. If I could have had any dress of the evening, it would have been this one. The skirt alone, bejewelled everywhere, was just beautiful. Choker necklace and hair well done. Slight point deduction for the shiny face, but…GRADE: Solid A

* John Travolta: Uh-oh, she weighs in with a fashion opinion on an actor. Great tie….

I am so glad no one is out there critiquing me…well, they probably are but my fashion choices are not splashed across the TV in front of billions of people.

And believe it or not, my Oscar broadcast began at 12:05 AM Germany time, with my head hitting the pillow at a little after 5 AM. For once, that jet lag came in handy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your review! Ang and I also agree that Miss Zhang had the best dress-I looked at the PEOPLE magazine at the grocery store and it showed Armani making it. I think Keira Knightly looks better in her movies than in real life. BUT George wins my heart every time and I am glad now that he is making better movies! Loved his acceptance speech! Best joke of the night was "In case of a nuclear disaster Jessica Alba and Eric Bana to repopulate the earth" Too funny! HOpe you all are having fun! Take care-TH

Hachie Gal said...

I thought so, too. Would love to get my hands on that PEOPLE magazine...no such option here :)

Anonymous said...

I think I can take care of that.

Missy said...

I agree with many things ... especially your favorite (Zhang) she was completely ignored for how fantastic she looked. Not a fan, but Jessica Alba looked AMAZING. I kind of liked all the formals with pockets - very real. Michelle William's dress grew on me as the night went on. It looked disgusting in afternoon light but at night it became prettier.
You were way too kind with Anniston. I'm so sick of her wearing her hair the same way every time we see her. If she wants to be noticed for something other than her hair, she should be a little more proactive. And her necklace - blick. C-
Charlize irritated me all night long. I liked the color of her dress but not the way it flowered at her neck. But her attitude every time they put her on camera was a little too Queen Elizabeth for me.
I actually loved Jennifer Lopez's dress but her hair was way too slick-me-back-and-put-me-in-a-Ricky-Martin-video.
Jennifer Garner has not lost all of her baby fat but she looks very nice nonetheless. And I really love her for it. And that she almost fell. She definitely seems like a kindred spirit.

Everyone else I am 100% on board with you. I forgot to print out Oscar ballots this year before the party so I'm not sure where I would have scored, but in our pre-winner-announcement shouting matches, I did decent on the shorts and animated stuff which is always extra bonus points. Go me.

Hachie Gal said...

Missy - I knew I could count on you for post game analysis. :-).