Monday, December 12, 2005

A Case of Circular Logic

Paris Marathon Training: Week 2 of 18
Today’s target run: 33 minutes
Today’s completed run: 33 minutes

Maybe it is my feeble brain, but I ended the telephone call more confused than before I spoke to the Lufthansa customer service rep. Essentially, I have been trying to navigate the airline's website (and in German) to get a frequent flyer number assigned to me. I figured...I am living in Germany, so I'll probably be flying on Luftansa a bit.

Great...found the website a few weeks ago, enrolled, and received the obligatory "Welcome to Luftansa's Mileage & More Program" email. Yet, no frequent flyer number was included. After scouring the website again today, I broke down and called the customer service hotline, surprising myself by obtaining an English speaking colleague.

Lufthansa: "Well, I see you were assigned a temporary program number. Here, let me give that to you....."

Hachie Gal: "Thank you very much Mr. Helpful Lufthansa Customer Service Rep. BTW, why did this number not appear in the email confirmation I received from Mileage & More?"

Lufthansa: "Well you are not a member of the Mileage & More program. This is your temporary number."

Hachie Gal: (hmmm...I thought that was what I registered for online...OK...don't panic...just probe a little more.) "What does the temporary number do?"

Lufthansa: "This is the number you will give to airline personnel when booking travel. You'll use this number till you collect 3000 air miles."

Hachie Gal: " Well, I never received the temporary number, so I have not been getting my miles credited. When will I receive my mileage card?"

Lufthansa: "Oh, you won't get a mileage card until you get an official Mileage & More account, which only happens after you fly 3000 miles. Then, you get an 'official' frequent flyer number and card mailed to you."

Hachie Gal: (hmmm again...a bit of consternation on my part.) "OK, so how can I check my mileage accrued so I'll know when I hit the 3000 air mile mark? Can I check that online?'

Lufthansa: "No, you can only set up an online account, which will allow you to check your account online, once you receive your permanent frequent flyer card. Remember, you can't get your frequent flyer card until you apply for membership in the official Mileage & More program, which can only occur after flying 3000 miles. So be sure to keep your temporary number handy."

Hachie Gal: (hmmm one more time... since I never got the temporary number in the first place so how could I ever use it?) " Er...thanks...will do!"

I am confused...need I say more?

No comments: