Friday, December 02, 2005

Oui, oui to the Paris Marathon

The long awaited time has now returned. Time to commit to another marathon. Sadly, the last one (the 10th one, I might add) was completed in March, 2001. Why the long wait? Well, it wasn’t because I was burned out or did not enjoy the marathon training or race itself.

No, it was all about training logistics. There was just something too challenging about trying to find space to run in Seoul and Taipei. Something about streets packed with people and lots of bumping bodies, motorcycles everywhere, including the sidewalks, lots of cars and crazy drivers who drove as if pedestrians did not “have the right-of-way” (and they didn’t), pushcarts, baby strollers, yada, yada, yada. And you simply can’t do a long run on a treadmill.

With the glorious Rhein River’s multiple running paths now at my disposal, I have decided to train for another marathon. If I was truthful, my first choice in destination running would be the London Marathon. Sadly, London uses a lottery system for selecting the 35,000 runners to participate in the marathon out of a field of about 75,000 applicants. The odds were slim of even getting making the cut. No, I wanted a sure thing, so, I went with my back-up choice: the Paris Marathon on April 9, 2006.

http://www.parismarathon.com/

Still, a very respectable (and veteran) race with a 25,000 +/- runners’ cap. What could be more picturesque than running through the Arc d’Triomph, under the Eiffel Tower, through Place Vendome, and past Notre Dame. And, the race is already closed meaning no more applications will be accepted for next April’s race. No worries, as I am in, I’m already accepted…man, I’m THERE.

That gives me 18 weeks of training to prepare for the big day. And training officially starts bright and early on Monday morning. (Yes, you’ll be able to follow Hachie Gal’s training progress on the daily blog posts or “suffer” through them as the case may be). The biggest challenge facing me is not the discipline of following a training schedule, nor the solitude of training alone (no way will Budman do another marathon – three were enough). And this year, no long runs in the Texas summer heat, getting up at 4 am to beat the sun or saving the “University” streets because I could do my last hour in the shade of those big ole trees.

No, my challenge will be somewhat the inverse of that last statement. Hint, hint: pictures of the running paths from earlier this week.

Snow Rhein Pics 001

Snow Rhein Pics 002

Hachie Gal is accepting applications for road support, so should there be any takers who might be interested in an April trip to Paris that coincides with the Paris Marathon, let me know. Selection criteria: ability to open gel packs and Gatorade bottles and to cheer for me every time you see me as if I was leading the race. No other training required.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I will most certainly be with you in spirit. Feel free to call on me if you desire any marathon day essentials from the US of A.

Hachie Gal said...

Will let you know. I did have to break down and order the big, while, hunky box of power gels. MUST find a local source, as the S&H to Germany about killed me.