Tuesday, December 20, 2005

We’ve suffered a little setback

Paris Marathon Training: Week 3 of 18
Today’s target run: 44 minutes
Today’s completed run: 44 minutes

That’s what you get for bragging about a pending solution that has been your nemesis for 8 months. Yes, the satellite technicians (currently termed “sherpas”, as they are supposed to be guiding us as we scale this mountain we call “satellite TV in Germany”) have been to the apartment. Last weekend. They’ve surveyed the options, and supposedly the estimates for the hardware, installation, related equipment, and satellite programming packages are in the mail…email, that is. It’s Wednesday night and we’ve not yet seen a thing. Not a good sign.

Second issue: we were told by satellite sherpa #1 that he‘d been to this apartment building before. Essentially, once the huge German trees that front our street are full of leaves, you can’t get satellite reception. So, I can watch satellite TV for 6 out of 12 months. Fantastic. (No mention of this issue was raised by satellite sherpa #2 – should I feel encouraged or more worried?)

Third issue: the satellite programming company, Sky Broadcasting, is technically illegal in Germany. They do not have the right to broadcast, but everyone bypasses that and still buys the programming cards out of the UK. Why is this not a comforting thought?

Shame on me for bragging that I could possibly see the end of the TV wasteland I call German cable. I know better than to count my eggs before they’re hatched. Still, I was so hoping that Santa was going to install satellite for Christmas.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had Sky in Hungary as well - which was also not technically authorized. you'll be fine. Sky is great.

michael

Anonymous said...

Can you pray for satellite? :o)This seems that serious for me since I could not live without mine. I am thinking of you and wishing you and B a very Merry Christmas while I watch Holiday Inn on AMC tonight. Was that cruel to tell you about it? I mean it in the nicest way possible!

Hachie Gal said...

Mike - ok, so this is a trend on Sky. We are still waiting the estimates so I suppose it is a moot point right now anyway. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hachie Gal said...

No worries, as we have all the holiyda movie classics on DVD. Have already broken into Holiday Inn and White Christmas this month anyway. 4 or 5 others left to watch this weekend.

Anonymous said...

and sound of music of course... I know how you love that film...


;-)

my

Hachie Gal said...

UGH....I am hoping he does not remember we have it :)