Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Turkey Day

Happy Thanksgiving to all our family and US friends. I know you are all enjoying the day, and hopefully you will have an extra piece of turkey and dressing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie in honor or Bud and I, who sadly, will not be partaking in a traditional Thanksgiving feast this year.

I suppose if I was a more energetic person, I would whip up a Thanksgiving meal. Just seems like a lot of work for only 2 people. And then you have all those leftovers….I am more of the “let’s make a dinner reservation” kind of gal in these instances. Especially since we are in work mode today.

Still, I can’t let the day go by without expressing thanks for good health, the love of family, dear friends who are literally “the wind beneath my wings”, material blessings, my country (warts and all), an interesting job and GREAT team mates, and most importantly, my faith.

On a less serious note, here is a list of things, in random order, that I am especially thankful for this year:

1. Tex-Mex food (let’s clarify: it is not Mexican food that I am thankful for but that slightly altered cuisine north of the border). And as homage to the woman who can cook it the "best", Elvira at Elvira's Restaurant.

2. And while we are on the subject of food, fried catfish.

3. American style football.

4. All region DVD players.

5. Saucony Shadow 6000 running shoes – please don’t ever discontinue that shoe.

6. Internet shopping.

7. The entire Law & Order franchise.

8. German speaking friends (you know who you are).

9. The ability to travel – it’s addicting.

10. Furry friends (a.k.a. Ginger and Gracie) who have been the best office mates a gal could have (no insult intended towards my human work colleagues).

11. Working from home.

12. Translation websites.

13. Frequent flyer and hotel award programs.

14. Entertainment Weekly.

15. Lyle Lovett, George Strait, and all the other Texas singers I miss hearing but can listen to on CD.

16. Mattress and box spring sets – of which we can’t get in Germany, so count your blessings.

17. Texas sunsets and skies.

18. Dots (the candy, but those of you who know me already knew that) and movie theater popcorn.

19. Diet Coke (in the morning, in the day, in the evening) - my caffeine of choice. Best add "iced tea" (brewed from scratch, none of this instant junk) to the list.

20. The promise of friends coming to Germany to visit.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: