Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Nürnberger Lebkuchen

Nürnberger Lebkuchen
(Nuremberg Ginger Bread)

Gingerbread is a German Christmas classic that actually predates Christianity. In classical Greek times, it was produced in Rhodes. Over time, merchants along the ancient spice roads carried the delicacy to Nuremberg. Since the Middle Ages, bakers in Nuremberg have made gingerbread, or Lebkuchen, according to their own recipes. Here is one such recipe.

Ingredients:

4 eggs
1-3/4 cups sugar
2 cups unpeeled almonds, coarsely grated
1/3 cup candied orange peel
finely chopped 1 lemon, grated for peel, juice reserved
1/4 whole nutmeg, grated Confectioner's sugar
rose water
baking wafers - 2" in diameter (these are edible pan liners that prevent cookies from sticking, look somewhat like communion wafers and are available in good German delicatessens)

Directions:

Beat eggs and sugar until they have the consistency of thick cream. To this mixture, gradually add almonds, candied orange peel, lemon peel, and nutmeg. Place wafers on a baking sheet and spoon dough onto wafers. Dough should be about 1/2" high. Smooth dough with a knife dipped into rose water. Bake in a pre-heated 325-350° oven for 10-15 minutes or until breadlike. Remove cookies and let cool. Meanwhile, mix confectioner's sugar with lemon juice to form a paste. Frost cookies.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm, you have me wondering... how can something be called a gingerbread if there is no ginger figuring on the ingredients list? but then I guess that logic is no always applying to language... or have you actually seen the Gluehwein "glowing"... saddly in other cases names are very literal... prune men really seem to be nothing but... confused swiss

Hachie Gal said...

Confused Swiss - All good questions. I should have expected your bright mind would have pondered the mysteries of German Christmas Market food.

The things I have read is that Lebkuchen is roughly translated as a "gingerbread of sorts". So, perhaps the inclusion of nutmeg, and omission of ginger is the difference. Another recipe I found (which had both molasses and ginger as ingredients) called for the mixture to be made and "to set" for 3 weeks before baking. Who has that kind of time?

In my opinion, gluwhein does not "glow" but the people who drink to much often have a "healthy glow" about them.

And finally, what can be said about prune men?

Simply put, those crazy Germans!

Missy said...

I was interested in trying this out, until I, too, noticed the lack of ginger. I think I'd get my palate all worked up for gingerbread only to have an exceptionally foreign tasting cookie in my mouth. Did you actually taste any treats that were a product of this recipe?

Hachie Gal said...

Missy - The short answer is no. This was THE recipe that was included on the Advent recipes listed on the Christmas Markets website though. But no, I cannot confirm that this was anything I ate. I do have another recipe to share but it seemed way too time intensive.

Let me know if you would like me to pass on.
HY

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for the Gluehwein and its after-effects...

michael

Hachie Gal said...

Michael - uh-oh. Sounds like a story is in there somewhere :)