Tuesday, November 29, 2005

We were eating all day long

What did we like best about the Nuremberg Christmas Market? The snow, the Christmas decorations, the holiday music? Hands-down, I think it was the FOOD. We fell in love with these "Nuremberg" bratwursts (sausage sandwiches) - I am not sure what they do differently, but these were the best sausage sandwiches we have eaten since we have been in Germany. Three little grilled sausages on a kaiser roll with mustard. We had these sausages for three meals running.

Nuremberg Christmas Market 2005 011

Then, of course, there was the gingerbread,

Nuremberg Christmas Market 2005 083

Nuremberg Christmas Market 2005 085

roasted nuts of all kinds (the smell was really what I like the best although Buddy did make a couple of purchases),

Nuremberg Christmas Market 2005 115

and gluwhein (hot spiced red wine). The market vendors served the gluwhein in these little ceramic Christmas mugs that are sorta like souvenir cups. Still, I think the heat of the mug on my fingers was even better than the taste.

For those of you more blessed in the culinary department than I, I'll plan on posting some Christmas recipes for some of the food items we've eaten at the Christmas markets. I know my efforts would not result in the same things we've munched on at the markets, but you'll probably have better luck than me.

4 comments:

Missy said...

mouth is watering.

oh sweet gingerbread!

Hachie Gal said...

Actually, there was this funny wafer-like thing on the bottom of the gingerbread. A very weird texture. I think if you have to ponder whether it is a piece of paper and should be removed OR whether it is edible, I am not sure you really need to eat it.

Anonymous said...

Please post recipes, I am becoming quite the cook and would love to try recipes from Germany.

Hachie Gal said...

Kim - great to hear from you. I do have a few more that I have picked up that are "holiday" related so check back throughout the month of December.