Wednesday, November 30, 2005

You learn something new every day

We need “winter tires” for the car. Does this statement mean anything to the readers of this blog? (Quiet now, Confused Swiss). Well, you’re not alone. It didn't mean anything to me either until a few days ago.

Occasionally, I read something about life in Germany that, while I don’t internalize it, I find that I have filed it away in the memory bank for possible future use. While I had read about the need to put “winter tires” on your vehicle in Germany, I had never really questioned what that totally involved. Until now….

According to those in the know, Germans (as well as many Europeans) have to change out the tires on their cars for winter driving. Apparently, it has something to do with better traction on ice and snow; these tires should be put on your car when the temperatures begin to dip below 3-5 degrees Celsius or so. Got it, but exactly who takes the current tires off and puts the winter tires on? And where do I get these winter tires? Where do I store the current tires?

All good questions and ones we think we have answered. Apparently, if you own your car, you take it into the dealership or automotive center, and they put the tires on for you. As the owner, you pay for the purchase of the winter tires, the service of putting them on your vehicle, and I suppose, you bear the responsibility of storing the summer tires. Luckily, since we have a leased car, we've been instructed to contact the leasing office, take the car into the designated dealership where the winter tires are waiting to be installed, and the current tires will be stored for the winter. We are hopeful to get the car into the dealership this week so I will tell you whether it was as “effortless” as we were led to believe.

So, the good news is that there is no “snow tire/snow-chain” concept in Germany….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Blog. Christmas decorations These delightful Family Holiday Ornaments will make each year a memorable family tradition for generations to come. Please visit Christmas decorations